Investiture of a Royal Patron
Ceremonial of the Kingdom of An Tir
Version: 12th Night, LII (2018)
At the Crown's command, the herald shall call forth the branch asking for a patron:
- The people of have a boon to ask of the Crown.
- People of , come and kneel before the Thrones.
And when they have assembled (officers in the fore):
- What would you ask of the Crown?
- SHIRE HERALD
- Your Majesties, the people of wish to ask of You a Royal Patron
- to represent us in Your Court, and to guide us according to Your wishes.
- Are there any among the Great Lords and Ladies of Our Realm
- that you would request to stand for you?
- SHIRE SENESCHAL
- Yes, Your Majesties.
- has traveled many times to our lands,
- and given of their talents and knowledge
- to aid in our growth and accomplishments.
- We would be pleased if Your Majesties would consider appointing them
- as Your representatives in our homeland,
- and our voice in Your court.
The Crown shall call the patron forward.
- We are considering the request of for the appointment of a Royal Patron.
- Your name has been advanced for consideration as patron.
- Do you understand the obligations, duties, and privileges attendant upon such appointment?
- Yes, Your Majesty.
- Are you willing to serve Us in this manner?
- Yes, Your Majesty.
- Then it shall be so.
- We name Royal Patron for .
- Your Majesties, I would now swear fealty as Your representative there.
The herald may lead, phrase by phrase.
- I do now swear fealty unto and , my Liege [Lord and Lady],
- to serve as Royal Patron for ,
- to obey Their lawful commands in all matters concerning this Realm,
- to promote the Arts and Sciences,
- to muster the forces of the Shire as Your Majesties have need,
- and to present the concerns of the Shire to Your Majesties to the best of my abilities.
- So say I, .
- And We, for Our part, do swear fealty unto this Royal Patron of An Tir,
- that We will protect and defend them and their household with all Our power,
- so long as We remain Sovereigns of An Tir.
- We also Grant unto them all rights, honors, and privileges due them
- as Royal Patron of .
- So say We, , King of An Tir.
- And so say We, , Queen of An Tir.
And after thanking Their Majesties, the shire will depart, and the herald will exhort the cheers of the people for the shire and the patron.
- Be sure the shire has a herald to read the petition.