Kingdom Equestrian Champion and the Honor of the Cheval et Lion
Ceremonial of the Kingdom of An Tir
Version: July Coronation LIV (2019)
The populace being assembled, at the Crown's command, the herald shall call the riders forward
(traditionally there has been no processional).
- Let all combatants who wish to compete for the title of Equestrian Champion of An Tir present themselves before Their Majesties.
When they have assembled:
- Today you enter the lists to vie for the honor of Equestrian Champion of An Tir.
The person who carries this title is sworn in fealty to the Crown of An Tir,
- that whenever Their Majesties marshal Their forces,
- there shall Their Champion be to do battle at Their side,
- to defend The Crown and Kingdom against all who would take up arms against An Tir.
This is a grave responsibility, not to be undertaken lightly,
- for even as the a Champion takes their place in Court and at Their Majesties' side,
- they must know that by their deeds they show forth the honor and chivalry of that court
- and this Kingdom to all the world.
So, understanding the position for which you compete,
- harken now to the words of the Crown.
If the Crown wishes to deliver a personal or inspirational message, They may do so at this time.
Then the herald shall lead the combatants in the oath:
- Do each of you now swear that should you be victorious this day
- you will fulfill the obligations of the Equestrian Champion of An Tir,
- and that you will abide by the laws of this Kingdom,
- and that you will bear yourself now and in the future
- with the honor and chivalry, virtue and loyalty
- which must mark a Champion of An Tir?
- I so swear.
- Make yourselves ready for the course.
- Henceforth, let none but the chivalrous combatants
- and those with official business pertaining to the course
- come within these precincts,
- until the competition is concluded.
Return of the Regalia
At their Majesties command, the herald shall call forth the old Equestrian Champion:
- , Equestrian Champion of An Tir, come before Their Majesties.
- , you have nobly served An Tir as Our Equestrian Champion.
- We release you from your duties with Our deepest thanks for your loyal service to Our Realm.
- Your Majesty, I return into Your keeping these tokens of the Equestrian Champion of An Tir.
The Cheval et Lion.
Receiving the regalia, the Crown shall say:
- We wish to honor you for your service to Our Kingdom.
- Know all people by these presents that ,
- having served faithfully and with chivalry as Equestrian Champion of the Kingdom of An Tir,
- is hereby given the Honor of the Cheval et Lion.
In acknowledgement whereof We do here set Our hand and seal
- this day of , Anno Societatis , being Gregorian.
, [SOVEREIGN] of An Tir , [CONSORT] of An Tir
The Crown shall present the outgoing Champion with the token of the Honor.
Their Majesties may invite outgoing Champion to witness investiture.
The herald shall call the victor forward.
HERALD: , you have gained victory this day. Come forward.
But, if no change is taking place the Champion shall remain kneeling.
- , by your valor and skill you have won the title of Equestrian Champion of An Tir.
- Will you take the Champion's Oath?
- I will.
- Upon what relic will you make your oath?
SOVERIEGN: Bring forth the .
- Do you swear to faithfully discharge your duties as Equestrian Champion of An Tir,
- to abide by the laws of the realm,
- and to loyally serve the Crown of An Tir
- so long as you remain Equestrian Champion?
- I so swear.
- Do you swear that and are your True Sovereigns?
- I so swear.
- Do you now swear fealty to and , [SOVEREIGN and CONSORT] of An Tir,
- that whenever They marshal the forces of the Kingdom,
- there shall you be to defend The Crown and Kingdom of An Tir?
- I so swear.
- And we for our part do swear fealty to this Our Equestrian Champion
- to protect and defend them and their household to best of our ability
- so long as we remain Sovereigns of An Tir.
So say we , SOVEREIGN of An Tir.
- And so say we CONSORT of An Tir.
- We accept your homage, and granting to you the rights
- due the true Equestrian Champion of An Tir,
- among these a place at Our court, and the right to ride by Our side.
- So say We, , SOVEREIGN of An Tir.
The CONSORT shall place the Cloak around the Champion's shoulders
and places the Champion's Lance into their hands, saying:
- Wear this cloak and receive these tokens of your estate.
- Take now your place in Our court.
As the Champion takes his place, the herald will exhort the cheers for new and outgoing Champions.
- Remind the Majesties about the Charge to the fighters.
- Remind Them also about the token for the Cheval et Lion. There is no standard token for this Honor at this writing.
- Find out if the Crown will read the formal charge to the fighters, or have the herald do this.