Ceremonial of the Kingdom of An Tir Version: September Crown, LIII (2018)
The Crown may first seat themselves, or if they wish may come in with their retinue before the procession.
At Their Majesties' command the Herald shall call for the presence of the populace to witness the Invocation of the Lists.
The order of the procession shall be as follows:
- The Royal Guard (if there is one).
- The Musicians (if any).
- Territorial Branches (by class) in order of precedence (see notes for Heralds):
- Crown Principalities
- Baronies (and Provinces)
- Cantons, colleges, strongholds and ports
- Combatants and inspirations in order of precedence
- The Marshalate
- The Heralds
- The Lists
As the procession enters the Royal Presence, the heralds will announce each branch and combatants.
And when all have entered the court, the herald shall proclaim:
But you who enter into honorable combat do, by your courtesy and valor, show forth the renown of the Kingdom of An Tir, and the greater glory your inspiration. Let brave deeds and chivalric conduct prove you worthy of the honor you seek and the favors you bear.
If the Crown wishes to speak, the herald shall say:
And the Crown shall speak such words of inspiration or instruction as they shall desire.
Following the Crown's talk, the Earl Marshal (with the senior marshals) shall approach the Crown.
Here the Marshals shall bow and withdraw.
Do you each know and swear to abide by the rules of the lists?
Do you each have a lord or lady whose favor you advance, and whom you may crown as your consort, should you prove victorious on the field today?
Do you each swear that if victory is yours today, you and your chosen consort will attend your coronation, the Crown Tournament to select your successor, and your successor's coronation?
Do you affirm that if victory is yours today, you and your consort shall swear fealty to the Crown of An Tir?
Do you also affirm that you and your consort will fulfill the duties and obligations of the Crown of An Tir, ruling justly, according to the Laws and Customs of An Tir, to the utmost of your abilities, so long as you shall reign?
Then go bravely forth to the Field of Honor to prove the worth of your inspiration in noble victory or honorable defeat.
The populace will then be given an opportunity to present favors to the combatants, the herald saying:
As the unbelted fighters generally outnumber the belted fighters, the King may invite selected unbelted fighters to take a place in the ranks of the belted. If there are an odd number of fighters, the King shall be sure to put more on the belted side than upon the unbelted, so a belted combatant gets the Bye.
People of An Tir! Attend you now the beginning of the List of the Crown Tournament of the Kingdom of An Tir.
When there are only two combatants remaining, the herald shall, at their Majesties command, invoke the Final Round. The populace will be called to witness the final combat.
Witness now the final round for the Crown and Kingdom of An Tir. Here do meet , bearing (-arms-), and , bearing (-arms-).
The combatants will enter, each with their entourage and their personal herald. The worth and virtues of the combatant and inspiration will be proclaimed by the personal herald.
The Crown will invite the inspirations to witness the combat from seats by the thrones.
When the inspirations have been seated, the personal herald and entourage will retire.
The herald will then announce the manner in which the final round will be organized (e.g., best two out of three). At Their Majesties' command, the chivalry will then be called onto the field to witness the combat.
The usual salutes will be made, and the combat will begin.
When the combat is over, the investiture of the new Victor and Consort shall take place, at a time and place commanded by the Crown.
NOTES FOR THE HERALD
- If time and/or weather precludes, or if Their Majesties desire, a procession is not required.
- As the branches enter in procession, it is helpful to have heralds direct them (after they bow to the Crown) to their places (behind the spots reserved for the fighters).
- When the challenges occur, the unbelted fighter nearest the Thrones should begin, followed by the one next to the first, etc. Encourage them to issue their invitation in a voice loud enough to be heard and in a bold manner.
- Remind the Crown about a charge for the fighters.
- Be sure that the Earl Marshal (or their representative) will be available for their parts in the opening of the Lists. Tell them their responses.
- Announce the time for the beginning of the procession.
- Make certain you have cards and pencils for the fighters to fill out after signing up at the lists table. These are to be handed to the reading heralds at the fighters' entrance into court.
- By tradition, the Royal Herald heralds the Invocation and Löwenmähne heralds the Final Round. The Crown or Earl Marshal may wish to invite another individual as they see fit.
- Before Final Round, remind the Crowns to invite the Inspirations to sit with them during the final round. These persons are often given flowers as they take their places with the Crown.
BARONIES IN ORDER OF CREATION
- Three Mountains
- Lions Gate
- Blath an Oir
- Terra Pomeria
- Glymm Mere