Ceremonial of the Kingdom of An Tir Version: (2022)
At the Crown's command, the herald shall call forward the Order of Chivalry:
After they have gathered, the herald shall call forward the candidate, who will kneel before the Crown.
If the candidate is unwilling or unable to swear fealty, then they shall say:
And the herald will change to the Master-at-arms ceremony.
But if the candidate WILL swear, then they shall say:
If so, call the other person forward and have them release the candidate.
The symbols include:
- the Sword of State,
- either or both Royal Crowns,
- the Orb,
- the Rod,
- the Scepter,
- the Great Seal of State,
- Their Majesties' person,
- the sword of another,
- another appropriate symbol.
The new peer shall state his/her/their choice, and the Crown shall take up the Symbol.
The herald will lead the oath (in phrases):
And when they have answered:
And the chosen sword is brought forward, and the Crown says:
If there is history attached to the spurs, it may be shared at this time.
When the spurs are buckled, on the Crown will draw the sword, laying it across His/Her/Their palms, and say:
And the herald will lead the vow (phrase by phrase):
Taking the sword by the hilt, the Crown shall bestow the accolade on the candidate with the flat of the blade upon the right shoulder, the left shoulder, and then upon the crown of the head. (See notes below if Crown is not a knight)
If there is history attached to the chain, it may be shared at this time.
If there is history attached to the belt, it may be shared at this time.
The inspiration of the new Knight, may be called forward at this time and assist the Crown in fastening the Knight's Belt about their waist.
And here the Crown shall deliver the buffet, saying:
As the Chivalry greets their peer, the herald will exhort the cheers of the populace.
- Find out if this will be a knighting or mastering.
- As they say "It takes a knight to make a knight". Thus, if the Crown is not a knight, the highest ranking knight will do the Accolade (dubbing the new knight). This is likely to be another Royal of An Tir who is a knight.
- Is the candidate squired or fostered to a knight or master? Who?
- Are they a sergeant? To which Baron/ess? Are they present, or have a representative?
- Are they sworn in fealty to any one else? Are they here?