Creation of a Pelican (Surprise)
Ceremonial of the Kingdom of An Tir
At the Crown's command the herald will call forward the SECRETARY for the Order:
- , Companion of the Pelican, has a petition for Their Majesties. Let them come before the Thrones.
- What is your petition?
- The Order of the Pelican petitions Your Majesties to admit another into the Order of the Pelican and the Peerage of An Tir.
And the CROWN will order the HERALD to summon the members of the Order.
- All members of the Order of the Pelican here come now before the Thrones of An Tir.
And the members of the Order may process in a formal procession, or they may gather more informally before the Thrones, leaving an aisle approaching the Thrones, and kneeling there.
- Greetings to you, Companions of the Order of the Pelican.
- Each of you is a Peer of this Our Realm by virtue of your service
- and the sharing of your talents with the people of the Kingdom.
- Today you bring before Us another for consideration.
- Tell us of the qualities of this candidate.
And the sponsor(s) will enumerate the qualities which qualify the candidate for the Order, without naming them.
When they have finished, the CROWN will query the secretary.
- Who is this candidate?
And the secretary will name the candidate. And the CROWN will command the HERALD to summon the candidate.
- Let approach the Throne.
And when the candidate has come before Their Majesties, the CROWN will query the SPOKESPERSON.
- Is there any of your Order to speak for this candidate?
And when the Sponsors have enumerated the qualities which qualify the candidate for the Order, the CROWN will query the assembled members of the Order.
- Is it your desire that be admitted to this Order?
And the members of the Order will reply in the affirmative.
If a vigil is offered, the Crown will give the order and the candidate leave to depart Their presence. If the elevation will take place immediately, continue as below.
- Are you sworn in fealty to another?
If so, call the other person forward and have them release the candidate.
- , well pleased with your continued efforts and diligent service to this Our Kingdom,
- and right mindful of the wishes of your peers,
- We are minded to create you a Companion of the Order of the Pelican.
- Will you accept from Us this honor,
- and swear to uphold the rights and responsibilities of the Order?
- I will.
- Then will you, , give your word
- to continue to fulfill the requirements set for the governance of this order
- as you most surely have until now,
- to increase your labors nobly,
- to nourish your talents as befits a noble,
- and to seek to disseminate your talents and abilities
- throughout the Kingdoms of the Knowne World,
- as far as is within your powers?
- I will.
- Bring forth the medallion.
When the medallion arrives, if there is history it may be shared at this time.
Then the Crown will give the medallion to the candidate.
- Then take from Our hands this token of your accomplishment and Our esteem.
- Bring forth the circlet.
When the circlet arrives, if there is history it may be shared at this time.
Then the Crown will place the circlet on the candidate's head.
- Wear this circlet as symbol of that nobility
- to which your own labors as much as Our recognition have raised you.
- Let it be known that on this day
- has been admitted to the Right Noble Order of the Pelican
- and will be known as a Peer of the Kingdom of An Tir.
The new peer shall here be asked if they are willing to swear fealty.
- Would you now swear fealty to the Crown?
If the new peer does NOT wish to swear fealty, skip ahead. Otherwise the herald shall ask:
- Upon which Symbol of State would you swear fealty?
The symbols include:
- the Sword of State,
- either or both Royal Crowns,
- the Orb,
- the Rod,
- the Scepter,
- the Great Seal of State,
- Their Majesties' person,
- the sword of another,
- another appropriate symbol.
The new peer shall state his/her choice, and the Crown shall take up the Symbol.
- I, ,
- a Companion of the Order of the Pelican,
- and a peer of the Kingdom of An Tir,
- do become your liegeman of life, limb and of earthly worship.
- Faith and truth will I bear unto You,
- to live and die,
- against all manner of folks.
- Crown 1
- And We for our part
- do swear to protect and defend you and your household with all Our power,
- so long as We remain Sovereigns of An Tir.
- So say We, [Sovereign] of An Tir.
- Crown 2
- And so say We, , [Sovereign] of An Tir.
If a scroll has been prepared, the Herald may read it out here.
But if the new peer does not to swear at this time, the ceremony will continue as follows:
- Arise, , and go to your peers.
The HERALD will exhort the cheers of the populace.