Forgot your password?
An Tir IL dated 2009-06-01 (Jump to Submissions)
Unto Gwenlian Black Lion, Caitrina, outgoing Lions Blood, Elizabeth Turner de Carlise, incoming Lions Blood, and the esteemed members of the An Tir College of Heralds to whom this missive comes, Lí Ban ingen Echtigeirn, Boar, sends greetings and felicitations.
COMMENTARY ON THIS LETTER IS DUE ON THE 10TH OF JULY, 2009.
The following Lions Blood meetings will be held on at 1:00pm at Caitrina Lions Blood's home (3174 Sechelt Dr., Coquitlam, BC).
May meeting - Sunday, June 14, 2009
June meeting - Sunday, July 12, 2009
July meeting - Sunday, August 16, 2009 (meeting will be located at the Barony of Lions Gate Sergeantry Trials - Warner Loat Park, Burnaby, BC)
Directions: Make your best way to Vancouver, BC. Get onto the Trans Canada Hwy (Hwy 1) if you're not already on it. Take the Lougheed Hwy exit (Exit 44). You should be going NE. Follow Lougheed Hwy until it turns into Pinetree Way. Follow Pinetree Way to Guildford Way. Turn right. Follow Guildford Way to Ozada Ave (Guildford Way turns into Ozada Ave.). Follow Ozada Ave. to Inlet St (first right). Turn right. Follow Inlet St. to Sechelt Dr. (first left). Turn left. Look for #3174.
Alternatively, follow the directions provided courtesy of Google Maps:
FROM LIONS BLOOD
Greetings unto the An Tir College of Heralds from Caitrina Lions Blood!
Please all join me in congratulating and welcoming HL Elizabeth Turner de Carlisle who will be stepping up as the next Lions Blood Herald at September Crown. Elizabeth has been a tremendous help to me during my time in office as one of the valuable commentary heralds I often rave about as well as doing all of the notifications as Sinister Gauntlet. This is but only a few of the ways she comes to the submitter's and the College's aid each and every month. The Kingdom's submissions will be in good hands. HUZZAH to Elizabeth!
In Service to Kingdom and College,
Caitrina Lions Blood
LIONS BLOOD ACTIONS
These items will be forwarded to Laurel, and are tentatively scheduled to be decided on in October of 2009.
• Alessandra Lorenza Simonetti. Name & Device, New. Or goutty de sang, a scorpion inverted sable.
• Alessandra Lorenza Simonetti. Badge, New. (Fieldless) A scorpion tergiant sable.
• Alys Lakewood. Device, New. Barry vert and argent, two bendlets enhanced and in base a thistle Or.
• Constance Wyatt. Household Name, New. Blywboote Inn.
• Constance Wyatt. Badge, Name. (Fieldless) On an open pavilion Or a boot azure laced gules
• Constance Wyatt. Badge, New. (Fieldless) On a coney rampant argent, a heart gules.
• Dante Machiavelli. Name & Device, New. Gules, a bend sinister argent and in chief a hawk stooping to sinister Or.
• Dominicus de Lyon. Name, New. (See RETURNS for device.)
• Edouard d'Angers. Name & Device, New. Per pale indented argent and azure, a wolf rampant and a Latin cross crosslet counterchanged.
• Fernando Lobo. Name & Device, Resubmission to Kingdom. Per pale azure and sable, a wolf's head ululant erased argent and a chief raguly Or.
• Galena Machiavelli. Name & Device, New. Per chevron azure and gules, two quills of yarn and a pair of scissors inverted Or.
Although questionalbe on whether the name is registerable, the device is found to be free of conflict and the submitter will allow a holding name if necessary. The name is being forwarded in hopes the Known World Heralds may have some insight on how best to help this submitter with her desired name.
• Halla Orðlokarr. Name & Device, New. Azure, a Norse sun cross and on a chief indented argent three mullets azure.
• Madrun y Gwehyddes. Name & Device, New. Argent, a millrind between four mascles in cross gules within a bordure counter-compony argent and sable.
This name is being forwarded to Laurel in hopes someone with more experience can assist as there was not enough commentary forthcoming to make an educated decision.
• Nicolas Hardel le Noreys. Name, New.
• Nicolas Hardel le Noreys. Household Name, New. House Hardel
• Piers Lakewood. Device, New. Quarterly azure and vert, four feathers argent.
It is noted that the charges, though submitted as "quill pens", are not long enough or have nibs to be described as quill pens.
• Ravenwulf fitz Gerald. Name, New. (See RETURNS for device.)
• Ravenwulf fitz Gerald. Badge, Resubmission to Kingdom. (Fieldless) A sun in splendor per pale wavy Or and vert.
No conflicts found, very well drawn and attractive design.
Reme the Burgundian. Name, New.
• Sumayya al Ibelin. Name Change & Device Change, New. Azure, an arrow inverted between in chief two lightning bolts in chevron, a chief embattled Or.
• William Mor. Badge, New. Argent, a chevron throughout and a chevron inverted throughout braced all with in a bordure sable.
These items are being returned for further work
• Dominicus de Lyon. Device, New. Gyronny of eight argent and gules, a compass rose counterchanged.
This device is being returned for having an unidentifiable charge. The charge is not a compass rose as it does not have the required fleur or other identifying north mark at one of the long points. As well, it cannot be blazoned a compass star within and conjoined to an annulet, since the long points actually overlap the annulet, leaving a problem of a barely overall charge. And unfortunatley the charge is counterchanged no fewer than four times between the annulet and the center point, which is solid gules and not counterchanged at all, leaving us with excessive counterchanging..
• Lothar Adalsind. Name, Resubmission to Kingdom.
This name is being returned for further work as the submitter desires a male name but the constructed byname is feminine. Ursula Georges has graciously offered her services to work with the submitter one on one.
• Octavianus Lunanus. Name & Device, New. Per bend sinister wavy purpure and argent, a bend sinister wavy counterchanged between a tiger salient to sinister argent marked sable and a rose gules barbed, slipped and leaved vert all withyin a bordure per bend argent and purpure.
This name is being returned for lack of supporting documentation. The submitter desired the meaning of his name translation to mean, "Octavianus (one who is associated/adopted by Octavian)". However commentary given states that when Gaius Julius Caesar (the Julius Caesar of history) adopted Gaius Octavius Thurinus, the young man followed the Roman fashion in taking his adopted father's name for his own, and appending a adjectival form of his (now dropped) nomen to the end. Thus, he became Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus. Historians in the English-speaking world have Anglicized the last name to Octavian. Thus Octavianus does not mean "one who is associated with/adopted by Octavian." However, if the submitter can prove use of "Octavianus," other than THE Octavian(us), then the name is acceptable. Unfortunately the submitter did not have any supporting documentationand although he will accept any changes, we need something in which to base the changes on.
This device is being returned as already in the short time the paperwork has been in the Lions Blood Herald's possession, thepencil crayon has faded to a much lighter version of what it must have been upon submission and cannot be forwarded as is. Crayola markers are the recommended medium for submissions as the colour stays true. Please also note that the bordure is counterchanged over the bend sinister. This appears to count as a weirdness.
[a pile sable ... a bordure counterchanged] Given that we allow other peripherals to be counterchanged across an ordinary, we see no reason to disallow it here. However, this practice is not good style and therefore counts as a weirdness. [Duncan Arthur Ross the Black, 07/01, A-Ansteorra]
[registering a pall inverted surmounted by an orle counterchanged.] We allow an ordinary surmounted by another to be counterchanged. While this is not good style, it is at worst one wierdness. (Pietro Niccolo da San Tebaldo, 8/96 p.5).
• Ragnarr ulfheðinn. Device Change, Resubmission to Kingdom. Argent, on a hurt, six elder futhark elhaz runes conjoined in annulo, argent.
This device is being returned for violation of Rule for submission VII.7.a. Identification Requirement - Elements must be recognizable solely from their appearance. Any charge, line of partition, or field treatment used in Society armory must be identifiable, in and of itself, without labels or excessive explanation. Elements not used in period armory may be defined and accepted for Society use if they are readily distinguishable from elements that are already in use. The compass star, defined in the Society as a mullet of four greater and four lesser points, is immediately identifiable without confusion with other mullets or estoiles once its definition is known.
The design overall appears to be a variation of a snowflake and not six Norse runes. Snowflakes have been disallowed since the cover letter of the August 1994 LoAR. [Dietrich Schneewolf, 04/00, R-Artemisia]: "There was very little commentary on the issue of snowflakes, and only a small portion of that was in favor of retaining snowflakes as charges acceptable for registration in armory in the SCA. As a consequence, we will cease registering snowflakes in the future. (As always, people who already have registered snowflakes may apply the grandfather clause to future submissions.) If someone desires a snowflake, please try to steer them to an escarbuncle." (CL 8/94)
• Ragnarr ulfheðinn. Badge, Resubmission to Kingdom. (Fieldless) an elder futhark elhaz rune within and conjoined to an annulet, all argent.
This badge is being returned for violation of Rule for submission VII.7.a. Identification Requirement - Elements must be recognizable solely from their appearance.
The design overall appears to be an inverted peace symbol and violates the ban on abstract symbols as sole charges in armory. Teceangl Ounce suggests submitter might consider putting the elder futhark elhaz rune within and conjoined to a mascle, as that would negate the peace symbol appearance and would be SCA-legal.
• Ravenwulf fitz Gerald. Device, Resubmission to Kingdom. Per pale purpure and argent, a demi sun per pale Or and vert issuant from chief and a sinister gauntlet aversant clenched per pale argent and purpure in fess two trefoils Or and vert.
This device is being returned for redraw. Although we love the use of hand drawn submissions, the gauntlet is unidentifiable as a gauntlet. According to the PicDic entry for "hand", this is a "sinister gauntlet aversant clenched"; the default for both bare hands and gauntlets is dexter and appaumy. If the knuckles were more prodominent it would help.
• Robert of Wolford. Device, New. Sable, a wolf queue forchy counter-rampant, maintaining in the sinister paw a bow bendwise and in the dexter a sheaf of arrows inverted argent.
This device is being returned for numerous conflicts: Seth Comyn (February 2007): Sable, a wolf rampant contourny between three crescents argent, with one clear difference for removing the secondary charge group but nothing for maintained charges nor for the changes to the tail; Kelly of Settmour Swamp (August 1995): Sable, an Irish wolfhound and a stag combattant argent, with one clear difference for removing half the primary charge group, the first of two combatant charges is 'rampant to sinister'; Dorcas Dorcadas (September 1973): Sable, a three-headed hound rampant, one head reguardant, argent, langued gules, with one clear difference for changing the direction it's facing but nothing for the heads. There are several precedents stating that a two headed eagle is no different than a one headed one. There is also this precedent from the tenure of Jaelle of Armida: [a three-headed hydra vs a dragon] Details of the dragons, including number of heads... count for nothing. (Thomas Grayson of Falconridge, 3/98 p. 22). It also conflicts with Judith Jehana di Ettore (June 1990): Per bend sinister gules and sable, a fox rampant to sinister argent, with only one clear difference for the change to the field.
As well it is hard to identify as a wolf. This resembles a wolf-headed lion queue forche than a wolf queue forche, given the way the paws are drawn and the tail is drawn, and the implication of a mane.
• Volchok Voislavov. Device, Resubmission to Kingdom. Azure, A demi wolf couped salient Or, Above a chevron inverted Or, In chief 2 crows close respectant Or.
This device is being returned for multiple style problems. Commenters were unable to blazon this depiction sufficiently to check for conflicts. A per chevron inverted field would be equal parts azure and Or however this is not a chevron inverted either. It's been suggested this could be an attempt at a sort of base, chausse or a per chevron inverted abased field. As well the resubmission was printed on a colour printer and has already started fading from azure to a purple-ish shade of something? Please remind the submitter that the tried-and-true method for coloring devices for submission is Crayola Marker or a close equivalent, as we have not yet found a printer ink that is archival in quality, and all forms are retained indefinitely.
The following submissions received for the June Internal Letter are being returned for administrative reasons.
• Karyn Gerogsdottir. Name & Device, New.
This name is being returned due to lack of documentation. The device is being returned for insufficient funds, outdated forms and mismatched drawings on the two forms.
An Tir OSCAR counts: 1 New Name, 2 New Devices, 2 New Badges. This gives 5 new items. Resub counts: 1 Resub Name, 1 Resub Household Name, 4 Resub Devices. This is a total of 6 resubmissions on this letter, for a total of 11 actions.